Pages

Monday, 2 June 2014

5 Favourite Books ...

by Dawn Torraville-Cairns

I've thought about writing a blog about my five favourite books. Unfortunately, that's not possible – my favourite book is almost always the last book I read – and I am constantly reading. I've also thought about talking about my five favourite authors. However, I have a current total of ten romance authors on my must-buy-immediately list. And that list is always expanding.

So instead, here is a much shorter list - my top five non-romance authors.

1. Terry Brooks – I remember “The Sword of Shannara” as being my first 'grown-up' book. I read the whole series and it inspired me to start writing my first short stories.

2. Stephen R Donaldson –Although I don't read fantasy as much as I used to, I still have copies of “The Mirror of Her Dreams” and “A Man Rides Through” occupying a treasured space on my bookshelf. I read them both at least once a year. I should probably see about replacing them with less dog-eared copies...

3. Kay Hooper – Although she writes in different genres, I like her Bishop series. These are novels about a fictional paranormal FBI unit (led by a man named Bishop) where the agents have ESP talents such as being psychics. And sometimes those talents hinder as much as they help...

4. Tess Gerritsen – I absolutely love medical thrillers. And, in my opinion, Tess Gerritsen is the best of the best. My couple of my favourite books by her are “Life Support” and “Harvest”.

5. T. A. Pratt – I have recently read the first four books in the Marla Mason series and am hooked. This series is an urban fantasy series revolving around a sorcerer/guardian named Marla Mason. Must read more!

Dawn Torraville-Cairns

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your list, Dawn. I've only read a couple of these books. Looking forward to reading a lot more this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Terry Brooks. I had the opportunity to meet him when my brother (potentially his biggest fan) took me to a reading and book signing he did at MSVU several years ago. He's a lovely man. I get his new book every year for my brother for Xmas, it's become a tradition with us, but that year I got it signed. I may have been my brother's favourite sister that year. :)

    ReplyDelete