Pages

Tuesday, 29 April 2014

My Five Favourite Books/Series

 by Annette Gallant
          
Save the Cat series – Blake Snyder
I was a dedicated pantser until I read this series. (Mostly out of desperation after writing too many meandering plots with threads that went nowhere.) I can’t say enough about these books and how helpful they’ve been to me when plotting my stories, no matter what the genre.   
           

Lonesome Dove – Larry McMurtry
There’s much to love about this book, but it’s mainly the bromance between ex-Texas Rangers Augustus “Gus” McCrae and Woodrow Call that kept me wanting to read on after this book clocked out at over 800 pages! Fortunately, there is a sequel, two prequels and a miniseries for fans like me who can’t get enough of this western. No surprise here it won the Pulitzer.
           
Something Borrowed/Something Blue – Emily Giffin
These were the first two chick lit novels I ever read and they hooked me on the genre. Something Borrowed taught me that even a character who does the most unsympathetic things can be root worthy if the story is executed well enough, while Something Blue taught me that the best characters are ones who redeem themselves as they grow and arc throughout the story.
             
All-of-a-Kind Family series – Sydney Taylor
Set in New York City just prior to the First World War, this series is about five sisters (and later a baby brother) growing up in a tightknit Jewish family. The setting and characters were completely different than what I’d experienced growing up as a Roman Catholic in a small fishing village in PEI, and I was completely fascinated with these stories and characters. I’m also pretty sure it’s where my love affair with NYC began.

Little House series – Laura Ingalls Wilder
I loved this series as a child, and I still love it as an adult. While I’d hate to give up my modern conveniences, there’s a part of me that wishes I have could time travelled so I could hang out with Laura and the rest of the Ingalls clan as they traveled from place to place in covered wagon. Visiting each of the Little House sites is one of the things at the top of my bucket list.


What are your favourite books? What is it you love about them?

1 comment:

  1. Great picks, Annette! I still have my set of Little House books on a shelf at home.

    ReplyDelete