Pages

Tuesday, 18 March 2014

Getting to know ... Georgiana Harding

by Georgiana Harding

1. What genre(s) do you write and what attracts you to that genre?
I’m basically interested in the short contemporary with a lot of sizzle between the (alpha-bigger than life) hero and a (feisty-non-submissive) heroine and it’s not an easy task to keep them apart and together for two hundred pages without crossing a lot of lines. LOL.   I also like the medieval historical where I might twist a few facts and go behind closed doors to ask ‘what if’ this is what really happened among the knights and ladies living in castles. Throw in a witch or a ghost and you’ve got lots to write about.

2. What’s your writing strength?  What do you think separates you from other authors?
Always open to new ideas and willing to climb or move the mountain. I guess that can also be called stubborn. As a decorator and artist, I love details, so I’m never short on description. I love to play with words to the point of making some of them up. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.

3. What’s your writing kryptonite?  What is always tough for you to tackle?
I do have trouble with dialogue because I want the characters to sound interesting and have a reason to move the plot along without sounding like empty-headed Pac-Men.  My biggest problem is: I can’t type. Do you know how long it takes to write out a novel with two fingers looking at the keyboard? Whaaa….

4. Do you work with critique partners?
Yes, I have worked with critique partners in the past when I first joined a writing group. I also have a long-distance telephone writing partner I always bounce ideas with. And recently I have joined an after ‘chapter meeting’ group where we discuss our writing in progress once a month. There are six of us with varied talents and pet peeves.

5. Where are your favorite places to find inspiration for new ideas?
Ideas are everywhere! Mostly created in my head, but sometimes it’s a drop of reality mixed with day-dreaming or creative thinking.  I’m also an avid reader and love-love movies. One example of inspiration was the name of my latest heroine, Lia Sophia, came from a line of jewelry. It was explained that the name was chosen for the owner’s two grandchildren, so I’m saying my heroine was named after her two grandmothers…one French, the other Italian and we’re off with a new story about falling in love with a Spanish Count.

6. What piece of advice has stuck with you most since joining RWAC?
Perseverance is a big one. Always keep an open mind to new ideas in the industry. Keep honing the craft. And…never give up.

7. Can you tell us what you’re working on now?
Right now I’m hopping between a short contemporary, Sinful Night in Dubai, which I’d like to enter in the Harlequin’s ‘So you think you can write contest’. There, I’ve said it!!! Now I’ve increased the pressure on myself towards meeting a goal and reaching the 55,000 word mark. Let’s see if it works.  And my other love for the moment, a time travel to the fourteenth century with witches, Knights Templars and everything else but the kitchen sink called The Mystic Courtyard. It’s in the hands of my critique group now and we’ll see where it goes from there.



2 comments:

  1. Georgie ... loved hearing more about your process. And I had no idea you type with two fingers ... you have my deep admiration for sticking with it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview - I love hearing about your process. Sinful Night in Dubai sounds awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete