Pages

Friday, 14 March 2014

Getting to know ... Dawn Torraville-Cairns

by Dawn Torraville-Cairns

1. What genre(s) do you write and what attracts you to them?
As I am 'reality challenged' - at least when it comes to writing – it's the paranormal beat for me. I write sci-fi, fantasy, ghosties, time travel, demons, vampires, shape shifters...You name it, I've either written it or have plans for it. Any stories that bear any resemblance to real life and real life situations are entirely accidental. Or a paragraph away from a zombie apocalypse.

2. What's your writing strength? What do you think separates you from other authors?
I love to write action scenes. When I'm hip deep in story-land, there's nothing I enjoy more than tossing obstacles at the main characters and 'watching' them sink or swim. <cue the evil laughter>

3. What is your writing kryptonite? What is always tough for you to tackle?
Writing emotional scenes. I've been working on this by writing short stories with strong emotional overtones. Most recently, I've been writing 'fear/horror' stories.

4. Do you work with critique partners?
I belong to a writing group in my home town, where we give/get feedback and encouragement on our stories.

5. Where do you find inspiration for new ideas?
Anywhere and everywhere. I am never short on writing ideas.

6. What piece of advice has stuck with you most since joining RWAC?
Write, write, write. Even if you don't feel like it. Even if you're not inspired.

7. Can you tell us what you're working on now?
I am currently editing a short story on time travel and starting to work on the second draft of a demon romance.

Dawn Torraville-Cairns
Facebook | Twitter

2 comments:

  1. As someone who's read your action scenes, I would have to agree with that ... fun to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn has been creative since the day she was born. :) Yay Dawn!! I can't wait to buy your books!

    ReplyDelete