Pages

Tuesday, 11 March 2014

7 Things you didn’t know about Atlantic Canadian author Renee Field

by Renee Field

1. What book got you hooked as a reader? 
James and Giant Peach by Roald Dahl. I read this book and realized immediately a world of possibilities could be created by a person and that person could be me.

2. What was the scariest moment in your life?
I went on a trip to Florida with three male friends and two days before our trip ended we ended up in a hurricane at Busch Gardens and it was my turn to drive that day to Clearwater. By the time we ran to the rental car the water was almost to our knees. I could barely drive but managed to pull into the nearest motel I could find and we got a room. Our street had no damage but cars were in trees just two streets over. The weird thing is that night was the first time I kissed my husband-to-be. Funny how fate throws things at you when you least expect it.

3. Did life turn out like you thought?
Hell no. I studied journalism at Ryerson University and expected to work in the field but when I came home to Nova Scotia, CBC which is the largest radio network in the city, they were laying off people. I feel like I’ve done a million things in my life and none that I expected. I ended up working in the PR field for government briefly (turns out I hate red tape), editor for a university, marketing manager for a not-for-profit organization, and then took a 10 year break to raise my four children. A few years ago I jumped part-time into the work field, still juggling the hectic children’s schedule and after two years of working for someone else I started my own company – StoryFinds.com, which promotes authors. I’ve discovered I love to be my own boss!

4. Did your writing career turn out like you thought?
I’ve always written and while I viewed it at first as a hobby I’ve come full circle and view my writing now as a part-time business. But I still write what I want to write. And that means sometimes I totally switch genres. A few years ago I jumped into the young adult market to write three nitty-gritty novels and stepping out of my comfort zone truly helped me get back into the flow of writing. Today I still write erotic, YA, romance and I’m currently working on a new adult.

5. What challenges have you had to overcome?
My biggest challenge is saying “no”. Life is hectic with the children and I’m a firm believer in volunteering and helping out but over the last five years I’ve come to realize that it’s sometimes good to step back. I have very limited “me” time and I value that so to keep my sanity I’ve started saying no.

6. Are you romantic?
Not really. I know that sounds funny coming from a romance author, but I’m not one to gush when a guy gives me flowers. Now, a guy who cooks me dinner – that’s another thing. I’m pragmatic when it comes to romance. I’ve been married in May 2014 for 22 years and I love my husband more each day but will admit marriage takes work. He’s my BFF but we also go away once a year without the children to reconnect. We go away for 4 days and three nights which is long enough as our youngest is only nine and we have a blast – long walks, dinner and lots of cuddle time in the hotel – lol.

7. If you could be anyone who would it be?
I’ve often wished to be Angelina Jolie and it’s not because of her looks but because of her fortitude with living life and giving back for the greater good. She’s an experienced Goodwill Ambassador and uses her creative talent to produce and act. She’s not one-dimensional and I think that’s what makes her unique. I’d like to think she has good and bad days with juggling all her children, working and giving back to this world – now if only I had some of her money – that certainly might help.

What are you working on next?
I’m working on a new adult romance novella, called Loving Lies, that will be finished in May and I’m very excited about this as it’s part of a new series featuring five other authors. Then I’m polishing my young adult novel First Test – Siren’s Lure which I plan to Indie publish in June.

My latest paranormal romance novel, Bliss – Kindle Bestseller – is now available.

Bliss by Renee Field
A plague threatens his kingdom but one kiss could rule his heart...

Kassandra grew up with myths of Titans and Sirens thanks to her father, but never did she imagine one of these mythological creatures would pop out of an ancient book she discovered in the library. Darius is unlike any man she’s known. He’s commanding but loyal to his family and he shows her a secret power she never knew she possessed. When he claims to need her help, Kassandra vows to use her special talents to help.

Darius is a Titan of the sea, trapped inside a book for a decade when he left his home on a mission to save his world. He’s on a deadly time crunch and fears the plague, which had been destroying his undersea kingdom has spread in his absence, and is forced to bring along Kassandra, knowing it could very well put her life in jeopardy.

Forced to find magic relics that could end the plague, Darius comes face-to-face with the decision of a lifetime. Let Kassandra drown or give her the kiss of life which will turn her into a Siren and bound her to him for eternity.

But one kiss can’t change the woman. Darius must learn to trust in Kassandra’s abilities if he’s going to find a cure for his undersea kingdom, all the while trying to avoid being captured and leading them both into a fate worse than death.

    Facebook |  Twitter

3 comments:

  1. Such an interesting life, especially the road trip to Florida! Congrats on Storyfinds as well as your new release. You're a master juggler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always amazed at all of your amazing ideas ... no wonder you have to keep yourself from volunteering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, quite the scary trip. At least it had a romantic ending! Congratulations on Storyfinds and your new release (and that it's a Kindle bestseller!).

    ReplyDelete