Pages

Monday, 17 February 2014

Words of Inspiration

by Donna Alward

I’m not generally an overtly religious person, though I do spend a lot of time thinking about spiritual health. I also hardly ever do chain letters. Most of the time they come to my inbox and end up getting deleted. Sometimes I think about doing them, because they sound fun and a little interesting. But usually not. Until last
week. An author friend of mine included me in a chain letter for words of inspiration. It had been a busy, slightly crazed week. Inspirational pick me ups are always welcome, you know? Some days more than others…

So I did it. I found an inspirational saying and sent it to the first person on the list. Then I sent the e-mail to 20 people and waited for inspiration to strike.

I’ve already received some short and sweet gems. 

How about “No one ever damaged their eyesight by looking on the bright side!” I make it a policy to try to be really positive and look at things as opportunities, and not roadblocks. So this quote is like “yeah! I got this, bro!” 

On a more poetic and somewhat sobering note, I received this one. 

Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget
falls drop by drop upon the heart,
until, in our own despair,
against our will, comes wisdom
through the awful grace of God.
- Aeschylus 

I find this one really comforting. It’s like saying “It gets better.” Or it’ll be okay. Just when we’re sure things suck and perhaps we can’t comprehend things improving, it’s taken out of our hands when we need it most.   

And then there’s this one, which is so beautiful that I want to put it in my office by my computer so I can remember it when I get overwhelmed and lose my perspective a bit: 

 "Time is not measured by the years that you live but by the deeds that you do and the joy that you give-
And each day as it comes brings a chance to each one to love to the fullest, leaving nothing undone that would brighten the life or lighten the load of some weary traveler lost on Life's Road-   
So what does it matter how long we may live if as long as we live we unselfishly give?" 
- Helen Steiner Rice 

Every day I get a quote in my inbox from GoodReads. Sometimes they’re meh, but sometimes they’re little nuggets of inspiration or reassurance that all is well. And all will be well. And all will be well.

What little jolts of inspiration do you find in your day to day?

Donna Alward
www.donnaalward.com

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Donna. You're always inspiring. Those are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bev! I miss seeing you. Hope we can catch up one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another gem just hit my inbox and I love it! "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm playing catch up on my blog reading. :) Great post, Donna!

    ReplyDelete