Pages

Friday, 14 February 2014

Getting to Know ... Debbie Boutilier

by Debbie Boutilier
Twitter: @westboutilier

1. What genre(s) do you write and what attracts you to that genre?

As a new writer I am still finding my way but I am leaning towards paranormal and fantasy  / science fiction based romance. The idea of being able to create my own world and rules is exciting. I hate being boxed in and like to think outside the box so contemporary romance for me is too restrictive at least now.


2. What’s your writing strength? What do you think separates you from other authors?

I have no idea. Perhaps, that I am willing to try. As to what separates me from other authors, to some extent it is that we are all unique in our own way, a mosaic of our past experiences which gives us each a different perspective and that my perspective will bring something new to the table.


3. What’s your writing kryptonite? What is always tough for you to tackle?

At present, getting past the first few chapters without having the focus change. For now it is the whole outline aspect. As stated previously, I really hate being boxed in, so having to sketch it out is really hard for me.  It reminds me of when I belonged to a painters' group who met one Saturday a month, I could never understand the concept of completely sketching out a painting as if it was a finished drawing, I just put paint to canvas and let the picture evolve one stroke at a time, so committing to an outline is really hard.


4. Do you work with critique partners?

Not really. I have one friend who I bounce ideas off, but haven't got to the point where there is enough content that is cohesive to actually critique.


5. Where are your favorite places to find inspiration for new ideas?

I read a lot so there are times when I read a particular book that broadens my horizons as to what can go into a fantasy world and gets me thinking of what else could exist. For characters and places I troll Pinterest to get visuals. It has helped me to anchor my characters a bit more and give me a starting point to describe locations.


6. What piece of advice has stuck with you most since joining RWAC?

That's a difficult one to answer.  I can't really say that it's a single piece of advice but the collective message to keep working and moving forward.


7. Can you tell us what you’re working on now?

A paranormal romance with Acadian lineage set in Nova Scotia.

4 comments:

  1. Debbie, I love that your working on something set in Nova Scotia. Best of luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Nova Scotia settings too ... also working on one ... not much paranormal in it though! :) And keeping moving forward is great advice to remember!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, I agee that every writer comes to the table with a different voice and unique perspective. That's what makes writing so great. There's a spot for every one of us at that table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. For a small group, RWAC has an incredible wealth of knowledge amongst its members and I am always learning something new about the craft. It's great getting so many different perspectives.

    ReplyDelete