Pages

Monday, 20 January 2014

When It's Important


The other day I was interviewed and one of the questions I was asked is what is your advice for new writers.  As always I say read, read, read, write, write, write, and if something is important enough to you, never give up on it.    

This had me thinking of my daughter.  Christmas 2013 I gave her a pair of diamond stud earrings, something she always wanted.  She treasured those earrings, but one morning she woke up and one was missing.  She’d been out to the clubs the night before with friends, during horrible monsoon weather.

Figuring she lost them at some point through the night, she called a cab, grabbed her friend, and retraced her steps from the night before.  Her friend kept telling her she was crazy.  No way would she ever find her earring in the city, especially after the heavy rains from the night before.

My daughter didn’t give up.  She searched the sidewalks, the puddles, and every nook and cranny in the pavement.  And guess what?  Yup, she found it.  Her friend was astounded.  So was I.  I mean what were the odds?  We’re talking a needled in a haystack here, or worse, considering the rain that soaked the city.  

Even though her friend went along to humor her, and never for a minute believed my daughter would have any luck finding that small, stud earring, my daughter refused to give up, because that earring was so important to her, and in the end she found her diamond.

So if you’re a new writer and the task before you seems insurmountable, just remember, if it’s important enough, and you never give up on it, you just might find what you’re diamond too!  


Cathryn Fox

8 comments:

  1. I'm one of those people that needs to make writing a habit. I can say that it's never happened ... I have spurts, but I never do it day-in and day-out ... but I know that's the key. Trying to make some changes so this year is my year :) Thanks for the reminder Cathryn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed that your daughter actually found it! I guess that's the bottom line, isn't it? How badly do you want it and what are you willing to do to get it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for your daughter - she is truly a diamond! A great reminder that tenacity is often what yields the rewards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an uplifting story. Love it! And I'm so glad she found that earring. That sick feeling when you lose something precious is no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story! And a good lesson on how persistence can pay off. Happy she found her earring again too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy, you have a determined daughter! What an inspiring lesson in persistence for us all as writers and in our everyday lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete