Pages

Friday, 31 January 2014

Getting to Know...Tara MacDonald

Today's spotlight is on Tara MacDonald, business woman and romance writer.


1.  What genre(s) to you write and what attracts you to that genre?

I have always read fantasy as a young adult and some science fiction plus horror.  I fell in love with historical and contemporary romance through authors such as Johanna Lindsay and Nora Roberts.  So, I write fantasy, paranormal and contemporary romance.  All very separate genres but they speak to me.

2. What’s your writing strength?  What do you think separates you from other authors?

My writing strength: I don't know that yet.  Currently,  I'm working with a proofreader and I feel my strength is my ability to adapt to revisions and suggestions.  I believe that with my marketing degree and current MBA studying what sets me apart from other authors is that at this age, 38, I don't have a family of my own yet so I embrace all my projects with determination and passion unfettered by interference.

3.  What’s your writing kryptonite?  What is always tough for you to tackle?

My writing kryptonite is a lull in my daily action.  When I need downtime I get it.

4.  Do you work with critique partners?

I did with the NJRWA (another RWA chapter) work with two critique partners before their schedules became so hectic they couldn't keep up.  Right now I've hired outside people to help polish my manuscripts.

5.  Where are your favourite places to find inspiration for new ideas?

Inspiration for new ideas – people watching.  That's the only reason I set foot in a mall is to absorb life around me as it passes by.  And, for outdoor meditation I travel to the beach twice a week with my dogs.

6.  What piece of advice has stuck with you most since joining RWAC?

The piece of advice through RWAC has been with a HQN editor's visit where, after hearing my pitch, told me to keep going even though what I was doing didn't fit her category.

7. Can you tell us what you’re working on now?


 I'm working on finishing up my four year project – an epic fantasy romance.  Then, in a few weeks I'm revisiting my contemporary romance to get it ready to pitch at RT 2014.

3 comments:

  1. Tara, you amaze me with all your different pursuits. Writing at the same time you're studying for your MBA must keep you crazy busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely on a tight schedule but manage to put in that same schedule those much needed down times and the space to do absolutely nothing for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara, an epic fantasy romance sounds awesome! Kudos to you for tackling such a demanding project.

    ReplyDelete