Pages

Wednesday, 1 January 2014

2014 Is going to be so Awesome because I have a Plan(ner)

Every year I start the search for a calendar/planner that suits my needs. Last year I put together one I was fairly happy with. I purchased a cover, bought a calendar from Staples online and added a notebook:

But I couldn’t add any additional pages. And it was black and white. Dull. Uninspiring.

I don’t even know what made me take a look on Pinterest but I did a search for planners and 320,546, 645 (approximately) pins came up.

OMG! Planner Heaven.

(All of you recovering Scrap Bookers might want to look away now.)

There is a whole world out there of Printables that I didn’t even know existed. Lots of teachers, homeschoolers, mommy bloggers created Printables and binders for every necessary task a person could want. There are Printables for children’s chores, reading logs, goals, exercise, drinking water. There are even Printables for housework. With check marks and lists and schedules. I always wondered why housework and I just never seemed to mesh and now I know why: I needed a schedule and a check list to keep me on task! Do you know when I clean my bathroom? When I walk in and think “man, this needs to be cleaned.” Then sometime within the next couple (or 6) days I clean it.

This is just a sprinkling of what is available for free, to buy as a download from Etsy or in other DIY shops that I’ve pinned:

I use the Arc Notebooks from Staples for other things, so decided to use one for my planner. You can add, change and rearrange the pages. The pages available are fairly standard, businessy (yes, that’s a word) type pages. And I wanted colour. And pretty designs.

The one drawback is that the Arc doesn’t use three-hole punch pages. You have to buy a special punch from Staples if you want to design and print out your own pages for an Arc. And it’s not inexpensive. You can use a regular binder and three-hole punch instead if you want.

A search of dozens of blogs and sites and I couldn’t find something that really spoke to me. Daily to do lists with 10-15 items on it? Whoa! Unless I’m putting on things like “brush teeth” and “eat lunch” that’s about 5-10 things more than I plan to do in the run of a day. (And probably explains why my bathroom always needs to be cleaned) Anyway, I ended up having to create my own pages. With far fewer items. But it took me ages. So, do yourself a favour, find ones already designed. Even if you have to buy them at Etsy. You will save a lot of aggravation, paper and printer cartridges. And Time. Which you can then use to clean your bathrooms. 

I designed pages for my “Goals” notebook. No New Years is complete without another commitment to lose weight and write more:

And calendar pages for the Planner:

Here’s a link to my Noteworthy Pinterest board if you want to see more: http://www.pinterest.com/annemacfarlane/noteworthy/

What about you? Are you a planner? A goal setter? Or do you just wing it?  If you use a planner or calendar, what kind do you use?

Hope you all have a very Happy New Year filled with friends, family and good fortune.



14 comments:

  1. Very cool. I need to organize my getting organized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawna, I had to stop myself from buying all kinds of colourful craft items from Michaels to pretty it up.

      Delete
  2. And here I thought I was obsessed ... :) Finding the perfect planner is always a challenge .. never thought of making my own!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki, they have great Daytimers and Dayrunners that you can add different pages to, in the longer run it would probably have been cheaper. LOL

      Delete
  3. Love this Anne! I think the ability to plan what you need is a key - I made my own journal too, a lot less structured but I still needed a journal that works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, I loved what you did with yours. My daughter likes the moleskins so I suggested she do the same.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the organizing tips, Anne! I'm a compulsive list-maker, but so far haven't used a planner. Maybe the time has come. A whole new year stretches before me, bright and beautiful, and I want to make the most of it. Better get out that calendar...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magi, I always feel that way at the beginning of the year. I don't want to waste a minute of it. Sometimes I'm a little too optimistic about what I can accomplish!

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Anne. I'm an under-organizer but you're making this all sound fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bev, whatever you`re doing seems to be working for you. I wouldn`t change a thing.

      Delete
  6. I am super organized. It's sticking with a plan and paying attention to detail that usually does me in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paula, LOL. I`m the same way. Spend a lot of time preparing a plan - then don`t follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne, I've seen your new planner and it's pretty neat. I don't have the patience (or let's face it, the interest) to customize my own, but I'm impressed with you for doing this. Having one that suits your needs exactly makes a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen Anne's planner. It is a thing of beauty.

    ReplyDelete