Pages

Friday, 8 November 2013

Romancing the Rock

by Victoria Barbour

When I was in my twenties and living in other parts of Canada, there was nothing I enjoyed more than bringing my friends home to Newfoundland. I couldn't wait to show the place off with visits to George Street (hot Nfld guys), Cape Spear (the most easterly point in North America) and Signal Hill (great for parking with the boys you meet on George St.). What I loved more than anything was that those friends fell in love with Newfoundland too.

When I started writing romance, I couldn't imagine a better setting for my stories. There's such a mix of urban and rural cultures, and I love the juxtaposition between the two. Over the years I've submitted to traditional publishers and received the subsequent rejection letters. I often wondered if it was the location. I even thought about changing it, but in the end, I know who I am as a writer. I'm a Newfoundlander, and for me, the greatest compliment I think a reader could ever give me is to feel compelled to learn more about this awesome rock in the sea. That's why I decided to self-publish. My books wouldn't tell the stories they do if they were set anywhere else.

I believe without great characters, especially the supporting cast, and a setting ripe for romance, a novel just can't flow. One of the most interesting things that's happened since I made the decision to self-publish is the feedback from my fellow Newfoundlanders. They're surprised they are enjoying a romance set here. I guess if you live in a place you can't always see the beauty. I sometimes wonder if I hadn't lived away for so much of my adult years if I would see it myself? But I'm so glad I do.


If you'd like to see an example of how this place influences my writing, pop on over to my website and check out my Romancing the Rock post on my blog. And if you'd like to see it for yourself, why not pop on over to Newfoundland. :) 







Find Victoria online:
@vickibarbour

5 comments:

  1. I've never been to The Rock, although I saw an edge of it years ago from St. Pierre et Miquelon. It's the only province I haven't visited. I think I need to remedy that within the next couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between myself and Kate, we'll show you around. :)

      Delete
  2. You do Heidi and you now have a couple of friends who will be happy to give you the grand tour! :)

    Awesome post Vic!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visited Newfoundland for the first time in summer 2012. Rugged scenery. Rugged people. The will to survive. Lots of grist for romance there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There sure is Magi. I hope you enjoyed your visit.

      Delete