Pages

Friday, 30 August 2013

Unplugged


I spend a lot of time in front of my computer, as I’m sure many writers do. When not in front of my computer, I’m watching YouTube videos on my iPad, reading on my KOBO or texting on my phone, or checking Facebook….

The point is: I spend a lot of time online, interacting with the virtual world. I decided several months ago to spend at least one day completely unplugged from the internet, interacting with real people in the real world.

Yesterday, I went out with my two sisters and my mother. We walked through a Sunflower maze:


Seriously though, once you’ve seen one Sunflower, you don’t really need to see thousands of them. LOL.

We had a great lunch in Wolfville, a beautiful college town.  Then we went to a place called Tangled Gardens (it’s been written up in Martha Stewart Living magazine) and walked through the wildflower garden.

They live and work onsite and make all their own jams, liquors, vinegars, and oils, etc. using their garden and fruits and wines from the farms nearby, six bottles at a time.  I imagined the owners working with their hands, happily living and working in a place so beautiful and peaceful.


I’m ready to settle down and get back to writing and working, now, having spent time in the fresh air, exploring some interesting places, with people I enjoy.

What do you do to unplug or unwind? 


Anne MacFarlane is an aspiring romance author and avid reader of everything - romance, mystery, women's fiction, non-fiction, the back of cereal boxes.You can follow along as she wrestles her inner critic and utter lack of discipline on her blog - One Word At A Time. You can also find her on Twitter.

1 comment:

  1. Anne, I love your idea of going unplugged for a day. I went unplugged last summer for days at a time while hiking in Newfoundland and found it liberating and peace-giving. :)

    ReplyDelete